Applicants to the History of Decorative Arts MA program must complete the online application for graduate admission to George Mason University.
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must submit the following supporting materials:
- Current resume or CV. Upload it to the online application as a Word documents or pdf.
- Goals statement. Upload it to the online application as a Word documents or pdf. The statement of interest and intentions should be 300-500 words (Please note this word length. This statement is to be uploaded in place of the 750 to 1,000 word goals statement requested on the online graduate application). The goals statement is an opportunity for the applicant to describe the reasons for pursuing graduate studies and why this program has been selected.
- Sample of scholarly writing. Upload it to the online application as a Word documents or pdf. The writing sample should be any complete, polished prose text (e.g. essay, review, etc.) written by the student for an academic course, a scholarly publication, or in the course of professional work or community activity. Typical length is 3-10 pages double spaced (a chapter or selection of a longer text is fine). The writing sample must be entirely the work of the applicant, except for limited final editing in the case of published submissions.
- Three letters of recommendation. The online application will ask for the name, address, telephone number, and email address of each of the applicant’s three recommenders. George Mason University will then contact each recommender by email with a request to submit his/her letter electronically. If you need to submit your letters by mail, please have them sent to: CHSS Office of Graduate Admission, George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, MS 2D2, Fairfax, VA 22030-4444.
- One official transcript from all institutions attended. Please have each institution mail them to: CHSS Office of Graduate Admission, George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, MS 2D2, Fairfax, VA 22030-4444.
- GRE scores. Please contact ETS and have them send scores directly to George Mason University (code: 5827). Note: applicants who earned their bachelor's degree ten or more years before applying to the History of Decorative Arts program are not required to submit GRE scores.
- Interview with the program director. Please contact Cynthia Williams at email@example.com in order to schedule an interview.
International applicants have additional requirements. Applicants whose native language is not English should also familiarize themselves with Mason’s English Proficiency Policy. For information, see International Graduate Admissions Requirements.
Fall: March 01*
Spring: November 01*
*March 1 (Fall) and November 1 (Spring) are not the final deadlines for admissions applications to the MA in the History of Decorative Arts program. Rather, they are the priority dates for applicants to be considered for scholarship funds and graduate research assistantships. After these dates, the Admissions Committee continues to accept and review applications, and will make offers of admission until the incoming semester's class is filled.
PLEASE NOTE: March 1 and November 1 are critical dates for financial aid consideration.
Financial Aid Deadlines
The priority deadlines for financial aid applications, including submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
Fall: March 1
Spring: November 1
Once you have completed and submitted the online application for graduate admission to George Mason University, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) acknowledging receipt of your application.
When your file has been processed, you will receive another email from the Office of Graduate Admissions of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (email@example.com) telling you that your file has been processed. This email will inform you if there is anything missing from your application, and it will also give instructions on how to view the status of your application online.
Checking Your Application Status
After you have received an email from Graduate Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) informing you that your file has been processed, you may check your application status online.
To check the status of your application, go to Application Status and click on "Graduate Application Status Login."
Applicants with questions about the History of Decorative Arts program should contact Cynthia Williams at email@example.com . Those with questions about the application process should contact the college Graduate Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org .